Sunday 27 April 2014

How Do You React If You Find Out You Have Cancer?

Some time ago, I met 2 beautiful young ladies who happened to be sisters. Whilst we were chatting and finding out about each other, one sister mentioned that she was off sick from work for 6 months. I looked at her and said. “What for, you look wonderful and fine to me.” And she did. She was bright, positive, she had a gorgeous smile that lit up the room, her energy was high, she looked extremely healthy, exactly the right amount of flesh on her bones and curves in all the right places.

She told me she had breast cancer, and that she had been undergoing treatment for the last 5 months. She had one more treatment to go. I was amazed. I said. “But you look wonderful!” She went on to say that her hair was a wig (you could have fooled me. Her hair looked so real and perfect)

I became intrigued as to how she managed to carry off this ‘appearance.’ She says she pays no mind to the cancer; she refused to accept and acknowledge it. She wanted to live. She wanted to get married and have kids and have a bright and positive future.

She went on to say she goes to the gym, jogs and engages in all kind of keep fit activities. She simply lived life to the full. She refuses to run with the cancer. “Let it run its own race.” She retorted. Just looking at her, she was definitely winning the race and running ahead with Life. She refused to give the cancer a life (her life). She refused to give it a meaning or an existence. I was so impressed. I observed her as she told her story. I could see she was going to win, she was going to Live. She had no self-pity and no pity for the cancer. She was celebrating and living Life. Well done to her.

I told her she was truly amazing. I know this young lady will live to tell her story to many people; her future husband, children and grandchildren, because she was looking forward to getting on with Life. May she live long and prosper.

I have shared this story many times over but only when it needed to be told and this is just an occasion.

This story is to commemorate my dear friend Ian who lost his battle with cancer in January this year and to remind myself and others that it is not all bad. With cancer, you win some, you lose some.

Farewell Ian, until we meet again.
                                                      
farewell my friend

No comments:

Post a Comment